Monday, October 20, 2008

Uganda Book Drive

We talked a lot about this in class, and I have to say, I am extremely impressed with your enthusiasm for this project. My biggest goal this year is to influence my students to think beyond their immediate environment and realize the impact they can make in their community, country, and world. So...let's get to work. Here are some ideas I would like you all to think about and comment on.
  • What kinds of goals do we want to set for ourselves? Books, Monetary Donations, etc.
  • What are some creative ways that we can obtain more books for the cause? Are there places and/or ideas we haven't thought about yet?
  • How can we motivate students who wouldn't usually participate in book drives? What can we do to get them interested in the cause?
  • Are there companies or institutions that might be willing to help? If so, who is willing to go visit them?
  • What types of books would be the best to send? What would help the students out the most?

Remember, you can respond with your own ideas or add to someone else's. To receive credit you must take this assignment seriously.

Mrs. Barnard will be sending more information about the school we are helping in Uganda. I'll keep everyone updated through this blog and the class website. If you'd like to know more about the Invisible Children charity click here.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

i Think that we should go to the local librarys and church's and the neighborhoods and place posters to get the communtiy involved. On the posters add a time and a place for a drop off, and have all the books sent to the front of the building.

Anonymous said...

I think that the best way to get the students involved is to offer something along the lines of a "free" day to the class that donates the most books and extra credit or some other prize to the student that brings the most.

EBaby3B said...

I think we should have a competition between all the grades and the grade that brings the most books can have a day out of school or they can where whatever they want to wear with no restrictions!

Anonymous said...

i think that we should send old elementary school books. Especally if they are not being checked out by students.

jAYME B00 said...

I like the fact that we get to help out places like Uganda. However, I feel that there are so many other struggling countries out there that would just love to have new books as well. Ex; KENYA, ANGOLA, ETHiOPiA, CHAD, LiBYA, NiGERiA, SUDAN, AND TANZANiA just to name a few. But overall, i like this and am willing to perticipate.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first person. i believe that gettin involved with the community will also help collect more books to build up the library in uganda. A lot of children would be glad to have books from differnt places. When telling a student who really don't get involved, we should tell then that it's for a cause, and that all the books they don't read or don't like to read they can give away to the african kids who would be glad to read those books and better there english and reading skills.

KCP23

Anonymous said...

i think we should go round neighborhoods n knock on doors askin if they have any books they would like to give us. good idea huh?? =DD

Anonymous said...

I think it would be neat to treat it like a fund raiser. For example, set limits for each class to reach. When that limit is reached, grant that class the prize for that number reached. Like if your class reaches 50 books you get some sort of extra credit. If they get 100 they get an ice cream party or something. If all classes in the school participate, then the winning class should get some kind of grand prize like a jeans day. If it was only our class, then the person with the most could be exempt from a test, or is brought their favorite candy bar.

Anonymous said...

i think probably the best way to help in motivating everybody is just offer some sort of small reward. Also i guess we can try and ask friends and family to help donate for this cause.

she beast akc 2b said...

I think we should make the book drive a competition between schools by types like all the high schools vs. each other and all the Jr. highs vs. each other and etc. that way we could have a variety of books at different levels. Since, it requires school participation we should have a poster or some other type of representation of how many books we've gotten so far.

Mrs. Hall said...

I like the idea of setting a school goal and making a visual to hang in the foyer of the school. Seeing our actual progress may help to motivate more students to give.

Mrs. Hall said...

Has anyone thought of a goal as far as the actual number of books we'd like to get?

Anonymous said...

I think saturday mornings hit some garage sales by people in mesquite, most people hosting them would be more than willing to give books away, cause they are trying to get rid of them, but if they know its for a good cause they would give them to us for free or practically nothing. Also put up flyers around the school, and say it on the announcements :)

CALLIEABSTON 2B! :)

Anonymous said...

TAllen 4B
I think the best Kinds of books is Health/Bodys books/Science. So they can learn bout Different diseases & Parasites.
And books We read to be fair

Anonymous said...

i think anywhere from 500 to 1000 books is a good range. This could be reached if we actually involved our middle and elemntary schools.. Lets not just make this a john horn thing involve the middle schoolers and elem. kids that feed into horn and let them get a taste of giving back to others.
=]

Unknown said...

I think setting a goal and posting a visual would be very beneficial. Each student could set a personal goal and like Sydnie said there could be some kind of extra credit involved to keep students motivated. Making sure students know about the cause and kids we are helping would motivate them as well. This book drive shouldn't stop at just books. Any type of donation from local libraries, buisnesses,ect. would make a difference. I believe we could set a high goal because if we really work at it this library could make a huge impact in thier lives.

Anonymous said...

I think all the students in our class should donate like $8 to $10. Then we should take all the money we gathered and take it to a book store or the library and let them know what were doing and im sure they would hook us up with lots and lots of books.

Hunter D.

Anonymous said...

I think that we could get more books if everyone donates one dollar so we can by them more books. Plus all the books that we give.


Ryan Moore
3B

Anonymous said...

we should compete with mrs halls others classes and the winer gets a free 100

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of going around the neighborhood and asking if people can donate books. By doing this, we could spread the news so more people could be aware of what's going on in Africa and how the kids are not getting the education they need to live in this world. If you collect a certain amount of books you would recieve an award of some sort..

Abraham M 3B =]]

Anonymous said...

I think we should have yard sells and recycle paper and copper to raise money to buy books and maybe even offer a no dress code day to the winning class period or even all of that teachers classes since this is part of all the periods not just one
- Salvador Becerra
4B

Anonymous said...

I just had another thought... we could also include all the other high schools and compete at a school level to raise more books and for a goal at least 1500 books
-Salvador Becerra
4B

Anonymous said...

I think we should go around your neighborhood and your local library to ask for books that they do not want that would help out alot cause u might get alot more books and who ever donates the most books gets a jeans day

Dontae R
3B

Anonymous said...

i think that the best way to get students to donate alot of book is to reward them by droping their lowest grade.

Jaclyn L 2B

Anonymous said...

I think we should compete with other classes but just for the fun of it because we should wanna help regardless.

Anonymous said...

I think we should compete with other classes but just for the fun of it.

Anonymous said...

We should compete for the fun of it.

Anonymous said...

I think we should compete with other classes but for the fun of it because we should wanna help regardless.

Anonymous said...

i believe that if we all went out to get old dictionaries, or old books that schools dont use anymore. and we gave those, the children would really be overjoyed. we take those old books for granted. just cause there is a new version of an algebra book, that doesnt mean we have to through them away!

Anonymous said...

I think the students that know people who can donate money should. If we can get even a little money, we could go to half price books or any other inexpensive places and just buy as many books as possible. I believe there is only so many books that we have at the house, so even with all of us students donating, getting even more money will help the cause.

Anonymous said...

I agree with many of the ideas. Such as going to the libraries and churches to see if they have any books that they dont mind giving. But i also think that we should go to the elementaries and middle schools,not just in our feeder district but as much as the mesquite district we can, and get them involved by letting them compete, saying the like the top class of each school that brings the most books will get a pizza or ice cream party, sponsered by their very own 2010 class of John Horn High School. And just reali get them involved and let them know the reason were really doing this. For they can feel apart of this. And start off young helpiing.

T.S.

Anonymous said...

I think we should ask family members, if they will like to donate any old books, that they have or ask people that u live by if they will like to donate books n help the uganda childrens

by Kamara